What We’ve Achieved
FOE Kuranda had the following significant WINS this year through our persistent, focused campaigning. Yay!
• The Barron River near Kuranda will now be tested for poisons and pesticide residues.We’ve pressed for it and this will happen as part of the Reef Water Quality Protection Plan,
• We’ve highlighted serious deficiencies in the new Mareeba draft planning scheme that would have resulted in unchecked land clearing. These are now being investigated and hopefully corrected.
• On our suggestion, Kuranda Pine Plantation is looking to leave wider buffer zones along its borders with the Wet Tropics. Brilliant!
• The pine plantation has admitted using Simazine, a dangerous chemical that persists in the environment.
• With friends in Cairns, we witnessed and recorded the clearing of the ‘bat nurseries’ by the Cairns Regional Council which has resulted in them being prosecuted by the Dept. of Environment. Prosecution for over-pruning is proceeding.
• We formed an alliance with Indigenous people ACF, EDO, CAFNEC and CSG Free NQ to win a stop on mining Mt Mulligan.
In addition, we have helped and supported the creation of two locally focused action groups: the Spirit of Kuranda and Friends of Kuranda. We are proud to be founding members.
The Friends of Kuranda region Planning Group is currently working hard to get better environmental protection for the Kuranda region in the next Shire plan.